Friday, March 28, 2008

Elbert Hubbard on friends and enemies

I like to read quotations because they don't require me to sit still for more than a minute and yet they make me think for days, and sometime for weeks.

I'd like to share one quotation by Elbert Hubbard, an American artist and philosopher: "Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway." I find this quotation has been true in many occasions of my life. Mysteries do occur in life and "deciphering" them for yourselves is way more important than for the others. You is much, much more important to your survival than people around you. Of course, these people can have considerable impacts on your life; but, how much you will be affected by them mainly depends on the strength of your "jiwa" (inner-self, soul perhaps). I am kind of attracted to the quotation because I think it somehow has a connection with many verses in the Quran.

"If Allah helps you, none can overcome you: if He forsakes you, who is there after that that can help you? In Allah, then, let believers put their trust (tawakkal)." (Ali-Imran: 160)

"But Allah hath full knowledge of your enemies: Allah is enough for a protector, and Allah is enough for a Helper." (An-Nisa': 45)

In these two verses, Allah tells us that not a single living organism in this world can cause you benefit or harm without His concession. You may find numerous verses in the Quran that convey the same message.

Here's the interesting part; while both Islam and Mr. Hubbard (representing the Western ideology) promote self-reliant, Islam also teaches us to never disconnect ourselves with Allah the Almighty. And how to connect with our God? Through prayers my dear friends. Allah has allocated at least five sessions a day for us to talk to Him. Ask Him anything and for everything as He never turn supplications down.

"And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright." (Al-Baqarah: 186)

2 comments:

Azlin Halim said...

hurm..
after a long silence..
when a thinker start to think..

Azlin Halim said...

It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.

-Mohandas K.Gandhi-