Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You're Ineffiecient, You Dumb-A**

Hell, I am annoyed by some people who have an absurdly narrow view on what attitude means. These people focus attitude on mistakes others made. They simply characterize a person based on mistakes, even worse a slight mistake, that person makes. And I recently had been a victim of this unfit idea of what attitude covers.

I missed a few days of the orientation program because I needed to repeat my JPJ test. And for that, I got labelled by the group of people I mentioned above as "lacking in attitude" and "inefficient". There were a few others who did not attend the program too for a sets of different reasons.
On the first day of class, we were gathered to meet with the deans. Of course we were asked to provide our reasons for absence during the meeting. I for sure felt like it was a big crime to miss the program. And this is how the dialogue between one of the deans and me went:

Him: "Harith Fakhrudin."

Me: "I didn't come for the registration. I had a two-hour driving lesson on that day and a JPJ test on the next."

Him: "So, when did you get back here?"

Me: "On Saturday, around Maghrib. I attended the Qiam and kuliah Subuh on Sunday morning."

Him: "Did you inform anybody about your situation?"

Me: "I informed kak Ida, and a few of the facilitators knew about my situation."

Him: "What I see here is a problem with attitude. If you really want to be with us, you would have headed straight back here after you JPJ test."

Me: "Prof, my parents are both working."

Here come the stupidest question of the year.

Him: "Why didn't you drive here yourself?"

Me: "My parents don't trust me with the car yet."

Him: "Can we trust you to be a doctor?"

Me: (I didn't really answer because I seriously felt that this fellow had lost his mind. For anybody in the whole Malaysia, your license is due to you after at least 3 working days after you pass the exam. And he expected me to jeopardize my in-process license or even worse getting involved in traffic accident just to join the orientation program.)

I was asked to write a letter explaining my case to him, and surprisingly the letter matters not. Because a week after the meeting, he held an apology session in which these "criminals" are compelled to apologize before their colleagues. This is another symptom of absurdity that seems to grow in this college. What is our fault to our fellow colleagues? We can only be faulty against our colleagues if only the orientation program had been a disastrous program and they had to bear "kebosanan yang membunuh" (I like this phrase) and we were happy out there slipping away from the sufferings.

I still hope there is a wisdom to this and I pray to Allahu 'Alim to reveal it to me.

wAllahu 'alam

3 comments:

Azlin Halim said...

salam..
bersabarlah ye..hehe..2 tahun yg menyakitkan otak..beberapa bulan pertama mmg akan rasa annoyed gile dgn 'org tu'..tp lps tu dh malas dh nk layan..abaikan..hormat mereka sbb mereka pendidik..tp tak semua idea mereka perlu diterima pakai..hampir semua org akan ada pengalaman hampir serupa mcm tu..but one day u'll appreciate it..(ek, do I?)..huhu..atleast appreciate the facts yg kite mmg akan kene tegur selalu..kene marah selalu..selagi belum habis housemenship..

cabaran pertama sebelum melangkah ke clinical years yg rase lagi mcm nak pecah kepala..rasa muka tebal kene bambu..rasa mcm kene libas2 dengan stetoskop..rasa penat yang hanya Allah yang tahu apa rasa dia..takpe.. hadapi semuanya dengan keSABARan..destinasi yang dituju masih jauh..jln yg dipilih masih panjang..

Husna said...

thats pretty normal here if ur yet to know. been the victim for quite sometime already.being labeled as such for mistakes that we thot we wld be reminded by them frm time to time not being accused for doing so.ull get used to it.ull enjoy ur time here.ignore the little-little ugly things like these, theres more to medicine!

Anonymous said...

Harith, i really never expected this coming from you... The dean only made you do those things so you will realize from your mistakes, by stating what you said in this blog.. means that you didnt really mean what you said.. being Ikhlas is important in our studies, and yet you used words such as "DumbAss".. which is very immature i think. Another issue i would like to point out is that. I saw you drive to cyberia, and your housemates said you went back home after.. haih..Just think about what you have done.. the example you are setting to your peers. If this is what you think about discipline, then i really think you should look into the basics of our religion...Respect, honesty, and faith. some things are better left kept to one self. there were soo many people up there with you.. before the JPJ test where were you?.. we had 4 days of orientation.. where were you then? As a friend, and as a colleague,I really dont like to see this kind of post. Please remove it, before it gets you into trouble. I dont want this kind of immature thoughts to spread, just think about it. The staff have done soo much to help us, get us to where we are.. and when you say what you have said, just seems like all their effort is unappreciated. SOMETHING FOR YOU TO KEEP IN MIND... YOU WOULD NOT BE WHERE YOU ARE WITHOUT THEM!!.. and if you feel this university is boring. then i suggest you find a new one. because this kind of attitude isnt civilized and it isnt fair to the people that went.. you say we went through suffering during the orientation, that shows that you think of yourself and have no thoughts about others. this just shows the kind of attitude you have.. May Allah bless you.. Im sorry to have said all that i have said, but its the truth.. To read this blog, especially the things you stated in it..coming from you.. is something very disturbing to me. learn back basics and true meaning of islam.. thats an idea for you..