Saturday, April 18, 2009

Husband vs. Wife

The husband works as a managing director in a multi-national company. The wife is a doctor. Both are middle-aged. They have three children; the youngest is 8. And they love each other dearly.

Husband: Yang, I'm thinking of getting myself a super-bike la.
Wife: Super-bike?
Husband: Yeah, a super-bike. I'm thinking the one with a 500cc engine. Cool kan?
Wife: Why suddenly? Are you getting bored of me?!
Husband: Ish, you ni. Ke situ pulak dia. I've always wanted a super-bike. Dulu takde duit. I can afford it now. ...And I love you. Always have. (Chuckles)
Wife: What do you want to do with the bike? Nak bawak pergi kerja? So you can attract more superficial perempuan. Camtu?
Husband: Belum apa-apa lagi you dah jealous. I nak pergi roadtrip. Pusing-pusing Malaysia dengan kawan-kawan.
Wife: Bahaya la motor besar-besar ni abang. You overspeed. Lepas tu you accident. I jugak yang menjanda. Tak pasal-pasal anak-anak I jadi anak yatim.
Husband: Sayang, ajal tu sudah tertulis. Tetap teguh di lauh mahfuz. Tak perlu pun I accident untuk mati. Dalam bilik yang berair-con ni pun I boleh mati. Lagipun, I'm not going for a race. I nak jalan-jalan. Kalau bawak laju-laju sangat, tak boleh la I nak enjoy tempat yang I pergi tu.
Wife: Tapi, being on a motorcycle increases the risk of getting into an accident. Memang la ajal tu dah ditetapkan. Tapi God doesn't ask us to run into it.
Husband: Kalau kita terlalu fikirkan risiko, kita takkan bergerak ke mana-mana la sayang oi. Going for a roadtrip on a motorcycle is nowhere close to going for a bungee jumping. Or smoking.
Wife: Ok lah. Kalau lah abang tak mati pun, abang accident. Putus tangan, kaki. Buta mata ke, kan susah saya, anak-anak semua.
Husband: Haih, I thought we've already agreed on the risk issue. Macam nilah. I'm going to buy a superbike, and I will go for a roadtrip with my friends. Kalau abang accident & jadi cacat, you can leave me. I'll move out. The house is yours. So is the insurance money. And the kids can stay with you.
Wife: Abang... bukan maksud saya....
Husband: No, seriously. I don't mind. I don't mind losing anything, even you. As long as I don't burden you. As long as you can be happy.

We can be either one of them. It depends on who's going to make the 'risky' change in life. I'm just trying to not be sexist.

wAllahu 'alam

4 comments:

noktah said...

husband: Going for a roadtrip on a motorcycle is nowhere close to going for a bungee jumping. Or smoking.

true. unless the husbands going for a road trip on a big bike meant to speed wearing 'glamour clothes' which are the ones in dark colors with no reflectors on them. in which case, it IS like he's trying to run into ajal. and God definitely does not like His slaves to do anything yg boleh memudaratkan. same goes for smoking.even occasional smoking.

Husband: Kalau kita terlalu fikirkan risiko, kita takkan bergerak ke mana-mana la sayang oi.

theres a difference between calculated risks and just stupid risks. the calculated ones are the ones to take so we can 'bergerak'.the stupid risks are the ones taken by the people-who-do-not-think who use the above excuse to do stupid things.

husband: Kalau abang accident & jadi cacat, you can leave me. I'll move out. The house is yours. So is the insurance money. And the kids can stay with you.

if the wife leaves her husband for being cacat suddenly, then she married him for the wrong reasons and its just as well to not stay with a person like that.

(the husband probably knows his wife will never do that, he's just trying to be dramatic)

Husband: No, seriously. I don't mind. I don't mind losing anything, even you. As long as I don't burden you. As long as you can be happy

obviously the wife will not be happy if she looses her husband, and her children has to live in a broken home all due to a big bad motorcycle.

and what kind of wife leaves her husband for getting into an accident??

without an arm or a leg,and without his wife,kids and house, probably lagi susah the husband nak buat kerje2 dakwah and such.

moral of the story, only take calculated risks. or at least try to minimise the risks as much as possible ie: pakai baju yg ade reflectors di malam hari. or get a helmet painted in neon colors, although these might not seem very glamarous ;p

shash said...

slm.. harith, nice one..im thinking of everyday, akan ade 2 org mcm nie. satu mahu tidak melepaskan..satu lagi, mahu melepaskan kerna ingatkan yg dia ini terlau beban hingga perlu untuk dijaga,dibelai,ditatang.. dunia2.. hurm~

Azlin Halim said...

hehe..
life is all about taking risk..
dari mula kita bukak mata pagi sampai malam kita tido balik.. dan tidur tu pn risky jugak..

cuma bezanya.. samada nak stay in our comfort zone.. or keluar and experience the new challenges.. calculate the risk.. tp kadang2 kita kena juga buat something yg diluar dari kebiasaan.. hidup akan jadi kurang membosankan dengan rutin.. (ok, my malay is worst)

btwn.. bungee jumping is GREAT!!..

Anonymous said...

noktah has said A LOT..indeed,its true. ever read 'men fr mars, women fr venus'??
(see,exactly my point!)
-secondanonymosity